Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Day 18-Keep Your Head Up



When I think of the person I want to be, one of the words that clearly comes to mind is “encourager.”  I suppose that makes sense, considering my profession.

This is about who I am to the people around me.  The people who see me every day.  The people who I only share a moment with.

What am I doing in those every day moments to encourage others? 

Recently, I read about George Crane’s Compliment Club in the 1920s.  He encouraged his students to deliver a sincere compliment each day to 3 different people.  What an amazing way to encourage others!  I have been trying to do it.  It can be really challenging.

The biggest surprise-the look of shock on someone’s face when you deliver a sincere compliment.  It makes me think that there isn’t enough kindness in the world if someone is shocked by a compliment.

I’ve also been going out of my way to make eye contact and smile at strangers.  What if that is the only smile they see all day?

Maybe for one moment, I can bring someone hope.  I can bring someone joy.  Maybe it’s with a kind word.  Or a kind look.

Is it my job to bring joy to the world?  Well, no.  But I do want to share kindness with others. 

Am I like this all the time?  No.  Sometimes I’m harsh.  Sometimes I’m full of regret about being harsh.  That’s when forgiveness comes in.

This isn’t about perfection.  Perfection doesn’t exist, remember?  This is about trying to be the best person I can be.

I’ve been listening to The Lumineers a lot lately.  If I had known that you could play the cello in a rock band, maybe I would have kept it up after the fourth grade.  Anyway, the lyrics from one of their songs keeps running through my head, “Keep your head up, keep your love.”

Simple words that encourage me.  I hope I am giving you simple words that encourage you.

I hope that when you read this blog, you are encouraged.  I hope you know that you are brave.  I hope you know that it is ok to stop running from fear.  I hope you know that you are enough. 

 

This post is part of my series:

 

To start from the beginning, please visit this page for a full listing.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure of why God made us friends oh so long ago! You are a great "encourager" and surely a blessing to all those around you. You're right that we aren't called to perfection, but simply to be the best where God plants us.

    ReplyDelete

Be kind, not judgey