Friday, October 26, 2012

Day 27-Understood



As I have mentioned, over a year ago, I started to make some real change.  There were moments that helped me change my perspective.  Words that I heard before pierced my heart that summer. 

One of those moments that summer was in church.  So here I was, in the middle of this change, starting to feel that shift in perspective and still burdened by survival mode, and this was one of the readings:
 
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened,
and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  
 
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.
 
Matthew 11:28-30
 
 
I had heard this before.  That day, I was struck by the verse.  That day, my heart was understood.  That day, I was being called to give away my burdens. 

I wish I could say that at that moment, I felt relief.  To be honest, I started to feel the full weight of the burdens I had been carrying.  The overwhelming exhaustion.  The uncertainty of change.

It was so hard.  I worked seven days a week, I couldn’t rest.  I had to go another job.  I felt so isolated.  It was as if Billy and the girls were completely separate from me. 

On that day, in that moment, I felt understood.  No one else “got” it.  Family and friends tried to sympathize with me.  They listened.  They made suggestions.  But they never understood the weary in my heart.  I couldn’t expect them to.

There was comfort in the understanding-all you who are weary and burdened.  Yes-that was me.  It wasn’t just the physical drain.  I always thought I had to carry the weight of our family.  I had to do the “right” thing.  And what was in my heart-the bitterness, the fatigue, the glimpse of hope-was all understood in that moment.

I knew that I had to let go of these burdens.  And there was relief knowing that-you will find rest for your souls.  I was allowed to let go. 

Of course, that was only one moment in a string of moments that helped me change my perspective. 

That verse strikes me today.  My life looks a lot different.  I don’t have the same burdens and worry, but they don’t just disappear forever. 

They can become replaced with new worry. 

But I am understood.  My heart is understood.  And I am allowed to let go.


 **I also wanted to say "Hi!" from all of you joining me from 2day I Choose.

This post is part of my series:

 

To start from the beginning, please visit this page for a full listing.

4 comments:

  1. Soul rest can find us in the middle of the busy, tiredness of life. I was thinking about this verse a few days ago when I was writing my Monday post. He's not a hard driver. He's not. I hate those hard seasons, but I live how you talk about how change doesn't have to wait until it's all better. How when you're ready change creeps down into the bunker where you are and finds you. This year has been a changing one for me too. Thanks so much for sharing your story in the linkup today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Change creeps down into the bunker where you are and finds you"-I absolutely love that! Thanks for hosting the linkup!

      Delete
  2. When the Bible comes alive, and a verse becomes rhema, it's like light at the end of the tunnel!!! Patsy from
    HeARTworks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That moment was truly like a light at the end of the tunnel. :)

      Delete

Be kind, not judgey