Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Day 25-Daydreaming



I’ve been reading some really lovely blog posts lately about being still and getting rest.

It has made me think about how I fill the moments in my life.  Not the big moments, but the small moments.

How often do I have a minute to sit down, and I check my phone or the computer?  Too many.

My mind can’t rest.

I’ve noticed that one of those places where my thoughts really come together is in the car.  I should specify that this is when I’m driving alone. 

On my way to work today, I was listening to some good music on the radio.  My mind started to wonder.  Wonder about things I haven’t had time to think about.  My brain needed quiet to process the life around me.

It reminded me of a time years ago when I was making a lot of long drives by myself.  Spending 10 hours in the car by yourself, without cruise control and only a radio, is a great way to have some quiet time for your brain.

Without this quiet time for my brain, without time to daydream, I feel unfocused.  I feel that I keep going from one thing to the next but I start to lose focus.  Sometimes I get so caught up in the to-dos that I forget about my larger goals.  Real goals, not to-dos about emptying the dishwasher or putting away the laundry.  Real goals about being the person I want to be.

Some nights I intend on reading after I’ve climbed into bed.  Instead, I might find myself staring blankly at the wall for a while.  Billy must think I’m crazy when he walks in.  “Do you want me to turn out the light?” he asks.   “No, I’m awake,” I answer.  There’s something really soothing about letting your mind be completely empty, letting it wonder to a new thought.  I haven’t been doing this enough lately.

So tonight after the girls are asleep, I may spend some time staring at the wall.  My brain will thank me in the morning.

 

This post is part of my series:

 

To start from the beginning, please visit this page for a full listing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind, not judgey