Monday, October 29, 2012

Day 30-Compassion


Most days, compassion leaves me a little raw and worn out.  Exposed to the pain of this world does that to your soul. 

Sure, a lot of it is the work that I do.  Meeting people at the worst moments of their lives, seeing them hurting.

Some of it is also being a parent.  Trying to protect the tender heart of your child.

I had no idea that when I had kids, I would ache for them at times.  Making friends, school work, dealing with a bully.  I simply had no idea.

Some of it is all of those other roles in my life-wife, daughter, sister, friend.  I want to be there.  I want to share in their stories.

Yet…

There are days when compassion overwhelms me.

There are days when I have nothing left to give.

Still…

I don’t want to become someone who is numb to the world, numb to the pain of others, numb to the life around me.  That actually scares me.  That one day I won’t be fazed by the pain of this world.  That I will stop feeling.

That’s why it is so important to recharge.  And rest.

So when the next day comes, I will be able to share someone else’s story, ease someone’s ache.  And it will still sting a little.  The sting that reminds me of my humanity.

 

This post is part of my series:

 

To start from the beginning, please visit this page for a full listing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind, not judgey