Sunday, October 19, 2014

RIP Elwood Wilson



It has taken me a long time to get here, but I wanted to spend some time writing about Elwood Wilson.
I had to make the painful decision to euthanize him last month.  Because yes, that had to happen too.  On top of everything else.  I got this image of Joe Pesci in My Cousin Vinny on a rant asking, What else can we pile on?!

My old friend wasn’t doing well and after 16 years, it was time to say goodbye.
My mom always tried to pet him.  Of course, he was completely standoffish because he is a cat.  He would rather prefer the company of my dad.  My dad who hates cats.

I’m not sure what happens to animals when they die.  I guess I haven’t given it much thought. 
But that day, I thought about it.  I thought about it in his final moments as I was looking at him.  His last image was of me looking at him.  And I had a flash that maybe in that next instant, he was opening up his eyes and saw my mom.

Holy moly, this was not going to be a sad post.  I can’t help this folks, it just happens.  Sheesh.
Anyway, my next thought was, you better let Mom pet you, you big jerk.  Because that’s the kind of relationship I had with Elwood Wilson.

Maybe at the very least, he is sitting next to my mom.


This post is part of my 31 Day series.  To start from the beginning, click here.

2 comments:

  1. I really love that even in a real shit moment of life you have a sarcastic humorous remark for your cat. You are amazing. And if there is an after life....frankly I prefer it to include cats and dogs. But maybe cats will have lost a bit of their attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what that says about me. Maybe I'm a big jerk. I'll go with trauma response. :)

    ReplyDelete

Be kind, not judgey