Monday, October 7, 2013

Day 8-Sincerity




I had a few hours of insomnia last night.  One of those nights of waking up around 1 am, tossing and turning for a few hours, and then a couple hours of sleep.  It wasn’t one of those nights where my brain couldn’t shut off…fortunately.  I was so tired.  I just couldn’t fall asleep.
That’s a hard way to roll into a Monday, for sure.

It was a long day at work and followed up later in the evening with a meeting at church.  I don’t suppose anyone is surprised that I signed up to be on the outreach (translate that into community service) committee at church.
I have been at this church for several months now.  My reasons for transitioning could probably be their own 31 Day series.

Feeling a little weary, I drove to the church with a belly full of dinner.  I was greeted with kindness and sincerity.
our homing

My parents came to church with me while they were visiting in August.  My mom remarked that it is very much like a small town.  Not in the gossipy, in your business way, but in the talkative, get to know you kind of way.  She’s right.  That’s actually one of the draws to this church.  The sense of community.
The meeting launched into a discussion about poverty and creating relationships with other people.  This group was willing to take a hard look at themselves and their own biases and have a genuine discussion about how we can really develop relationships with others.  They were sincere.

I felt at home. 
Conversations like this are common when I am working, I am surrounded by people who are professional helpers.  Having this conversation with every day people touched my helper heart.

I have been getting worked up lately over this concept of relationships and how we create these with real people.  Worked up in a good way.  Worked up like I feel I am being driven to be a part of a community that cares about helping others.
The weariness faded as I became engaged in this conversation. 

And with the sense of belonging came the hope of possibility.  I am looking forward to seeing where this leads.


This post is part of the 31 Day series-Mindful Moments.

2 comments:

  1. Love that you found a community where you feel at home. We all need more of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely-everyone deserves that!

    ReplyDelete

Be kind, not judgey