Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Day 2-Evening Grace




Usually I clean my house on Fridays or Saturdays.  By Monday night, the house is a wreck.
How does that happen?  Where does this stuff come from?

Tuesdays are a welcome relief as I have a bit of time to put the house back in order.  I was tired today after picking up (as I usually am).  Because it’s never just picking up, is it?  It’s making overdue appointments, balancing the checkbook, helping with homework, cleaning up after Elwood Wilson, baking bread (yeah, that last one wasn’t exactly a necessary to-do for the day). 
By 6 pm, I was starting dinner and feeling tired….and realized that I was overdue for my evening reflection.

Lord of all grace, Your hands swift to welcome, your arms to embrace
I felt myself take a deep breath.  Actually, while reading it again, I took another deep breath.

Isn’t that what we want at the end of the day-to be welcomed?  To find comfort?  I think of Billy and my little ladies at the end of the day.  Is this how they feel after work or school?
And isn’t that what we need at the end of the day-grace?  Our day may have been full of mistakes, and that is ok.  Perfection does not exist.  And our restart doesn’t need to wait until the next day.  Grace happens now.

I was grateful for this evening grace.  I was grateful for the picked up mess.
And I was grateful for the people who made the mess.


This post is part of the 31 Day series-Mindful Moments
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I came here from the nester and just wanted to say that I think this is the series I need the most. I'm going through a tough time with depression right now, but I'm also a wife and mom to four kids so something needs to be done :) I'm looking forward to the rest of our posts!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kim! I am glad that you are here! Hopefully we will both be gaining some insight with this journey. :)

    ReplyDelete

Be kind, not judgey