Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Day 3-Blissful Day




I am not a morning person.  I can almost hear my dad laughing from three states away as he is reading this.  Poor guy used to get stuck in the kitchen with me…always by the toaster….
But when you are a grown up, it is a bit harder to be a grouch in the morning.  Other people depend on you to get it together.

My solution for almost a year now is to wake up really early and have my early morning coffee alone time.  Yes, that is really a thing.  By the time I have to get the kids up, I am sufficiently caffeinated and have shaken off the attitude.
Those first moments in the morning though, when Elwood Wilson is serving as my snooze alarm, meowing at me to get up and fill his half-full dish, the attitude is there.  It’s dark.  I don’t want to leave my cozy bed.  Sometimes the aches from a long run the day before hit me.  I am overwhelmed by the day ahead.

Your bliss in our hearts
I read that meditation this morning before I had a sip of coffee.  I kept repeating that word…bliss.  It doesn’t seem natural to put that in the same sentence as “mornings.”

I thought about what that would mean to me this day.  What would bliss in my heart look like today?
Would it be accomplishing tasks at work?  Sharing time with my girls?  No homework meltdowns?

Maybe it is simply being content with what lies ahead.  Letting go of expectations.
Today, I wasn’t really looking forward to some of the tasks on my agenda.  I will admit that.  The idea of bliss seemed impossible.

And reflecting on the day now, I’m not sure that bliss was achieved.

But do I feel content?

Yes.

Maybe that is as good as it gets for today.  Maybe that is more than enough.
 

 
This post is part of the 31 Day series-Mindful Moments.

 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday. I popped over here to see what you are up to, and I really like what you are doing for these 31 days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Janelle! I'm looking forward to reading your series as well!

    ReplyDelete

Be kind, not judgey