Monday, June 25, 2012

A day of rest

On Sunday, I woke up ready to make a list for the day.  After coffee, my mind started to go a little numb.  More than a little numb.  I was staring at the wall. 

I needed rest.

I didn’t get out of my pjs all day.

I did accomplish a few things-laundry, organizing the girls’ room, dishes.

I played dolls with my ladies.  We watched movies.  Lucy and I cried during “Soul Surfer.”  It’s the movie about the surfer who had her arm bit off by a shark, in case you are wondering.  Lucy cried because she was so sad for the girl.  I cried because Lucy has such a tender heart.  It melts mine.

Did I mention that I stayed in my pjs all day?


It’s so easy for kids to take a day of rest.  My kids can fall asleep almost anywhere.  That's Lucy asleep on our way back from camping last year.  Not sure how her finger ended up on her face like that.

It’s not that easy as an adult (at least, not for me).  I have a running to-do list in my head of household chores (along with all those movie quotes).  I think about work.  I wonder if I really am living the life I want to be.  I start to overanalyze everything. Everything.

And then there are days like Sunday.  Days when my body and mind are done.  Days when I have the grace to let go of the to-do lists, clients, life.    

Days when I can just be.
And eat an ice cream cone in my pjs.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe I need a day of rest like that :) My mind works the same way and it seems no matter how hard I try, there's always something running through my brain that needs to be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend it. And I will not judge you. :)

      Delete

Be kind, not judgey