Sunday, July 1, 2012

Rest for the soul


I’ve mentioned a couple of times (here and here) that I am need of time away from work.  I want to clarify this.  This isn’t simply time off work.  I am blessed to get my weekends off (finally).

What I need is to be away.  Being a social worker, you are constantly aware of the misery of this world.  And of your lack of abilities to change it.

I need to escape the misery for a while. 

I need to reset myself. 

I’ve been reading a book lately about joy.  About experiencing it even though…insert whatever circumstance here.  Mine is “experiencing joy even though there is misery in this world.”

We are all allowed to feel joy.  This isn’t about putting on a smile and being happy all the time.  This is about finding contentment even though rainbows and sunshine may not be all around us.

Tonight I saw the most amazing sunset.  I would have taken a picture of it but I was alone in the car…and driving. 



So I will give you this instead.  This one was pretty, but tonight’s sunset…well…it has inspired songs…America the Beautiful…I’m sure you’ve heard of it.

I watched the sunset and felt peace.  I’ve been caught up in worry about trying to wrap up things at work before I go, working on that to-do list for our trip.  None of it mattered during that sunset.  I know that either it will all come together, or it will be ok if it doesn’t all come together. 

Rest is coming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind, not judgey