Thursday, July 19, 2012

Vacation High

Last night we spent some time with Billy’s mom (happy birthday!), and she asked me if my “vacation high” was still around.

I thought about it.  And you know what, I feel pretty good.

I can’t think of the last time that I have returned from vacation and didn’t feel the dread of returning to real life.  Riding home in the car on the way home, thinking “How long will I have to do this?  When will it get easier?”  Thinking about going back to working seven days a week is a little overwhelming after a vacation.



This vacation was different.

I spent most of the ride home thinking about how relaxed I felt, talking to Billy about the next vacation with my family (which we have already booked), and telling the girls to stop arguing.

At first, I hesitated to think about work.  To think about being at home.  But I allowed myself to go there, just for a couple of seconds, to see how it felt. 

And I felt ok.  So I thought about real life some more.  And I still felt ok.  Actually, I felt good.  Sure there was unpacking, laundry, emails from work to catch up on.  It didn’t matter. 

I was relaxed, I was refreshed.  And when I got to work-that was ok too.  My job is challenging, there is no question about that, but I love the work I do.  And I came back ready to face the challenge.

The bonus is that my arm is finally back to normal.  I even have full mobility in my hand.  Woohoo!

I’m hoping this is more than vacation high.  I sure would like to keep this feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind, not judgey