Saturday, December 29, 2012

Seasonal Blahs

We had a lovely Christmas!  I hope you did too.  Ours was full of family and fun and food. 

 

Our Christmas included this Guinness chocolate cheesecake.  I highly recommend it.  It survived a couple of kitchen emergencies-both were completely my fault.

After Christmas, I always feel a bit of the post-Christmas blahs.  There is so much anticipation in the Christmas season and in one day, it is over.

I was happy to get back to work the day after Christmas and get back into the routine. 

 

All of our decorations are put away.  Ok, with a couple of exceptions.  We always forget a couple of items every year.  This little guy has gotten left out almost every year since we got him…almost 10 years ago.

We used to keep everything up until after New Year’s Day, but I think that we have learned over the years that when the motivation is there to put away the decorations, we must act on it immediately.  Our space is a bit empty now.  I’ve been checking out Pinterest for ideas for our mantel.  The room is darker without the glow of the Christmas tree.  I am reminded to get a new lamp for our family room.

I have been thinking about 2013 and what I would like to accomplish.  I don’t necessarily like the idea of a resolution.  The word goal sounds a bit more fitting.  Focusing on that usually helps bring me out of the post-Christmas blahs.  I like the excitement of a new year, a fresh start.

I think we have all figured out from a previous post that I am not that great of a crafter.  But I’m finding that I really enjoy it.  I like how it engages my brain.  In this next year, I am going to be taking a couple sewing classes.  I’m trying out some jewelry ideas as well.  Hopefully I will remember that perfection does not exist as I continue on my crafting journey.

 

Lucy is really into crafts and got some crafting kits for Christmas.  Of course, Katy wanted to try too, even when she realized that one of the kits included a real needle.  Her strong will cannot be told that she is too little to learn.  She refers to the needle as a “knit,” which I have a hard time correcting because there is something so sweet about that term.  “Momma, can you fix my knit?” she asks, after she has pulled the thread out of the needle.

Crafting isn’t really a goal (or a resolution) but something I thought would be fun to try.  As far as actual goals, I suppose they are still in the forming stages.  I no longer put pressure on myself to have everything finalized by December 31st.  I have done that before and then somehow felt inadequate because I didn’t have my life planned out for the whole year by the first day of the year.  Kind of a silly thought anyway.  That we could have something as unpredictable as life planned out in so much detail.

I hope that as December 31st approaches, you are able to give yourself some grace in thinking about 2013 and what you would like to include in your life.  I am sure going to try to do that for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind, not judgey