Monday, November 4, 2013

Gentle November


The day before Halloween, we received the Target toy ad in the mail.  This post isn’t a rant about skipping over holidays…or holiday toy excess.  I’m sure I could go on one of those rants.
This is a post about one of the best months…November.

November is unassuming.
Thanksgiving isn’t a flashy holiday.  It’s about food and being together with loved ones.  Really, every holiday should be about this.

For me, November is a month about reflection and gratitude.  Or as Katy put it at dinner last night, it’s about “thanks.”
Speaking of giving thanks, the past couple of nights, Katy has thanked me for making dinner for her.  I have been a little surprised both times.  This is something I do (almost) every day.  She is finding gratitude in the ordinary, and she doesn’t even realize it.  Amazing.  And yes, I meant Katy, not my insightful little Lucy.

I’m always grateful when November rolls around.  The over the top Halloween decorations come down.  For those of you who may have noticed some of these decorations in the background of the blog photos, those are actually my neighbor’s decorations.  He decorates our yard.  Every year.  I have no idea why.
Our personal Halloween decorations are typically limited to some pumpkins and whatever homemade items the girls make.  Honestly, after six years of having the yard decorated for us, there’s just no need to buy any more than that.

In November, I enjoy reading everyone’s moments of gratitude on facebook.  I love the simplicity of the gratitude.  Someone has already posted they are grateful for coffee.  Amen.
I usually take some time off in November to recharge.  I already have my time off this month approved.  I love the simplicity of a staycation.  I’m sure there will be a lot of sewing.  And pajama wearing.  And coffee drinking.

Of course, there will be some holiday preparation.  We are making many handmade gifts for Christmas this year, and we are already getting started.  I love it.  It gives me an excuse to buy craft stuff without Billy judging me…ok, he is probably still judging….  So for those of you who typically get a gift from me, prepare yourselves for the handmade.  And keep in mind that perfection does not exist.
For the next few weeks, I am going to do my best to embrace November, in all of its quiet joy.  I hope you are able to find moments of gratitude and peace as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind, not judgey