Wednesday, August 22, 2012

School Nights


The school year really swept in fast, didn’t it?  I’ve always thought that once the school year starts (even when I wasn’t in school and didn’t have children attending school) that summer was over.  I know, we still officially have a month left and plenty of hot days in store, but the laziness of summer is now done.

Last year after some issues with whining about homework and feet dragging to get to bed, Billy and I put an end to tv watching during the week.  We found that it helped tremendously with the attitude and keeping the peace during the week.  I should probably clarify that Billy and I are still allowed to watch tv. 

We also have the kids come in earlier from playing outside so they can start winding down to get to bed on time.  Of course, that doesn’t mean they actually stay in bed.  The other night, Lucy was probably up for another hour and a half after her bedtime.  She was up so late that she woke me up with the constant opening and closing of her door.  I suppose she was peeking out to see all of the excitement she was missing.  The excitement of me asleep before 9:30 and Billy watching tv. 

In my efforts to slow down and appreciate life, I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about these school nights and how I spend them. 

For most of last school year, I was working 7 days a week.  I was just trying to “make it through.”  Surviving.

Life looks a bit different these days.

I’m trying to spend more time with the kids during the week.  Typically, I’m not one to flop in front of the tv on a weeknight.  Billy and I can’t agree on a show to watch together, and I’m too lazy to go to the basement to watch tv.  So tv watching isn’t really a barrier. 

The computer is another issue.  After a long day, I can get sucked into the internet and quickly lose an hour. 

Sometimes I get caught up in the to-dos.  Every request of theirs is met with a “just let me finish this first…” which of course leads to fifteen things that I need to finish.

This is a unique year to us.  Both ladies are going to the same school, all day long.  I have one day during the week now without work and without kids. 

I’ve been doing some thinking on this.  Not in my stressed out, over-analyzing way.  More of a “what should I do with the new routine” way.

I’m not sure that I have anything planned out.  In fact, I intend not to have anything formal or forced. 

I would like to make an effort to spend more time with the kids.  I will always have the to-dos.  Maybe some of those to-dos can wait until my day without them. 

I want to be more engaged when I am with them.  Enjoying the moments instead of thinking about the to-dos.

Knowing that perfection does not exist, I am trying not to set up expectations.  I know there will be days when I come home and need to veg in front of the computer due to work stress.  I know there will be days when the ladies come home and will think that I’m boring.  I know there will be days when all three of us come home and run to separate corners.  I’m realistic.

I’m going to try not to run through the day.

 

I’m going to enjoy my moments with these ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind, not judgey