Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Slow Start



A few weeks in, and I am feeling a bit more settled in this new reality.

One of the benefits of this big change to my world is that most days, my commute time is significantly less.  I had no idea how consuming the drive was until my first week not having it.  The fatigue finally caught up with me.

The other benefit is that most mornings, my work day starts a little later.  I don't want to make it seem like mornings are seamless or without drama or yelling up the stairs a dozen times to check in and give reminders about brushing teeth. 

I still get up early.  Usually 5 am.  I have a bit of margin in my schedule to get in some fitness and a shower before the house starts waking up.

I am able to make time for those to-dos that seemed to nag at the back of my mind because I was rushing out of the house in the mornings.  Balancing the bank account, dishes, laundry, etc.  To-dos that were always waiting for me at the end of the work day, after a long commute.

Lucy and I have time to have breakfast at the table together before she rushes off to her very early middle school bus. 

And in between her going to school and little Katy waking up, I have time to sit by myself and enjoy my second cup of coffee.  In silence.   Ok, sometimes not silence.  Sometimes the dogs are wrestling by my feet.

By the time Katy gets up, I feel settled and ready for the day.

I remembered that the reason I made such drastic changes wasn't just about the work that I do.  It was about living the life that I wanted. 

Peaceful mornings (for the most part) and being present for my family have been huge desires.

Of course, this isn't every morning.  The occasional morning requires a bit of a rush. 

I'm grateful for most mornings with a slow start.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind, not judgey